lundi 22 décembre 2014

Budget Minded Semi-Pro Studio Shopping. Audio Interface, Monitors, MIDI controller.

Let me start this off by saying that I'm really grateful for a web site like this, having all this information and a community of people on the same page helping each other. A special thanks to the people who make this happen.



I'm a totally new to this, and in fact, this is my first post. I'm a musician that's been a singer/songwriter for 15 years. My recording knowledge isn't non-existent, I do have a foot or two in the water. I've been around it quite a bit, and I took a short course in sound engineering, however that was a while ago. I feel like I still have an infinite amount to learn, but I guess that will always be true no matter how much I know on any subject. My new life plan is to invest in a semi-pro home studio to work on music full time. It's a big leap from just being a songwriter that knows a little about recording, but it's my passion and I want to create beautiful sounding tracks, record, mix, and master all myself to end up with a professional quality product that I can be proud of.



I'm starting from scratch. Literally, I have nothing yet except a few months of research about what I'm looking for and planning to buy. As I'm sure you all know this is overwhelming beyond belief so I thought I'd reach out and ask for help or some encouragement, something telling me I'm on the right track and some tips here and there to save me time and my hard earned money.



Music Style's I'll be recording: Folk, Rock, Alternative, Indy, Movie Scores.

The things I'll be recording most of will be vocals, guitar (electric and acoustic), bass, and MIDI. My budget isn't unlimited, so I won't be getting the best of the best to start. However I do want the best that my money can buy in the semi-pro budget category. In total I have just under $4000CAD but I don't have a computer. I'll fill you in with my needs and thoughts of what I'm aiming for.



Computer:

I'm gunna go iMac. I'm used to them and I have two friends that I work with that have mac's and logic. I want to be on the same page for help and tips from them, as well as working together on songs. This will be my most expensive purchase. Here's what i'm looking at:

27" iMac 3.2GHz quad-core Intel Core I5

16GB Memory

1TB Fusion Drive

(I read for audio production the i5 is a good enough processor and my money would be better spent on memory and the hard drive instead of the i7 and less memory and a solid state hard drive)

This is gunna run me around $2000.



Software:

Logic X Pro

$200



Audio Interface:

What my needs are...

2 inputs XLR/1/4", MIDI, Phantom power, Clean as possible preamp, clean as possible conversions, low latency, built to last, USB connect (firewire is on the way out in my opinion), works flawlessly with MAC OSX and logic x pro, great drivers, cost effective. For me this is where the confusion starts. With so much to choose from and mixed reviews on everything, it makes it tough. From the hundreds, maybe thousands of reviews I've read out there, here are some that I think fit the bill.

1. Roland Quad Capture $250 (This is what direction I'm leaning the furthest, although the others seem good as well. One thing I'd like to confirm is how it works in conjunction with a MAC OSX and Logic X Pro. Does anyone out there have this setup?)

2. Steinburg UR-22 $150 (I really like this one as well)

3. Native Instruments Audio 6 $250

4. M-box Pro 3 $300

I realize there are so many more out there, but from what I read I made some cuts and also tried to keep the price in the budget semi-pro under $300 range. Moving on to monitors.



Monitors:

I want to get a pair that I can record, mix, and master with. I want a flat unbiased sound that translates well to the outside world. I have a small - medium untreated room, but I'll be working on that in the near future. I don't do a lot of heavy bass music, so I'm looking in the 5" range to keep the costs down. Here's what I found that have stuck out for me in reviews. I know it's a subjective thing with sound and listening is the best, but here we are.

1. Adam F5 $500 pair

2. JBL LSR305 $400 pair

3. Yamaha HS5 $420 pair



MIDI Controller Keyboard:

I play the piano frequently so out of preference I'd like 88 keys. I don't know how much if at all I'd use pads, dials, and whatever else is on it so I’m impartial to them. The things that are important to me are semi realistic weighted keys and decent quality. An option for a sustain pedal I'd like as well. A MIDI connection instead of a USB connection I would prefer, but it's not a game changer.

1. Novation Impulse 61 (haven’t seen an 88, although I’ve seen a lot of good reviews)

2. M-Audio Keystation 88 (basic and I don’t need more)

3. Akai MPK2 88 (apparently really nice)



Headphones:

I want a flat frequency response, uncolored, and closed back so I can record vocals and work late.

1. Sony MDR7506 $135

2. Sennheiser HD280 Pro $110



Microphones:

Luckily for me I have a good friend with a collection that I can burrow and try until I find the right ones for me.



So, that’s the gear I’ve been endlessly looking at. I’m open to any suggestions you may have and tips you may know. I hope this reaches people who really know this gear. People who have researched, bought, tried, and recorded to best of the gears capability. I thank you guys in advance for taking the time to read and reply with valuable information.



Bmpata2c





Budget Minded Semi-Pro Studio Shopping. Audio Interface, Monitors, MIDI controller.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire