OK. I have followed the rules. My favorite post on the topic is this one:
http://ift.tt/1CrRejp
and there was another on overheads with lower ceilings.
What I am really hoping to do as part of my quest to just make good recordings is to get a more high-end cymbal sound. I am looking for sheen and sparkle that sits up high and really adds to a piece without creating distraction. The bulk of the material I record is rock or classic-rock style. I have an arsenal of Paiste Signatures and 2002s, as well as several Sabian HHX.
Currently, I have a 23' x 13' x 8'2" space, fully treated with a 2(2x4) cloud of 2" 703 panels over the kit. The walls are treated with 703 and there are floor to ceiling bass traps in all corners. The kit actually sounds pretty good, but I am trying to get the best cymbal sound that I can. (We are looking to move soon, and I will definitely be looking for a larger room.)
My dis-satisfaction is really mostly in crashes and splashes. I'm pretty content with the ride sound and even the hats. I'm looking for that smooth sheen out of crashes. I have fast-crashes, medium too in 15", 16" and 18".
So, my question for the High-End forum, is: Mic-Pre, mics or both? My lunchbox is full. I could upgrade to the 8-space or 10, but it seems that some of the 1U 2xpre are more cost-effective. I am using AT4041s now. I have read good things about the Beyer MC930 pair. I am also intrigued by the Electrodyne 2501 and the Great River MP-2NV.
Is there an order that you think I should try (mics first, pres second), or is there anything else you recommend I think about. I currently track drums with:
2 x 1073LB
2 x 512c
and everything else via A&H GL2400.
Thanks for your input.
http://ift.tt/1CrRejp
and there was another on overheads with lower ceilings.
What I am really hoping to do as part of my quest to just make good recordings is to get a more high-end cymbal sound. I am looking for sheen and sparkle that sits up high and really adds to a piece without creating distraction. The bulk of the material I record is rock or classic-rock style. I have an arsenal of Paiste Signatures and 2002s, as well as several Sabian HHX.
Currently, I have a 23' x 13' x 8'2" space, fully treated with a 2(2x4) cloud of 2" 703 panels over the kit. The walls are treated with 703 and there are floor to ceiling bass traps in all corners. The kit actually sounds pretty good, but I am trying to get the best cymbal sound that I can. (We are looking to move soon, and I will definitely be looking for a larger room.)
My dis-satisfaction is really mostly in crashes and splashes. I'm pretty content with the ride sound and even the hats. I'm looking for that smooth sheen out of crashes. I have fast-crashes, medium too in 15", 16" and 18".
So, my question for the High-End forum, is: Mic-Pre, mics or both? My lunchbox is full. I could upgrade to the 8-space or 10, but it seems that some of the 1U 2xpre are more cost-effective. I am using AT4041s now. I have read good things about the Beyer MC930 pair. I am also intrigued by the Electrodyne 2501 and the Great River MP-2NV.
Is there an order that you think I should try (mics first, pres second), or is there anything else you recommend I think about. I currently track drums with:
2 x 1073LB
2 x 512c
and everything else via A&H GL2400.
Thanks for your input.
High End Cymbal Sounds
Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire